Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Take Me There

I love hotels, motels, whatever. I'm happy staying at a Travelodge. I love getting away. But it's about more than going to a new place, there is something romantic about the ephemeral relationship you have to the place you stay at when you travel. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would pack my bag and me and Rubin would travel until the money ran out. Here are a collection of hotels and motels I plan on visiting.

Gamirasu Cave Hotel
Ayvali Village, Turkey

This place is so old world and romantic. "The hotel is located in a restored one thousand year old Byzantine monastic retreat."






 Ice Hotel
JukkasjÀrvi, Sweden

This hotel is one giant ice sculpture. What could be sexier than keeping each other warm under a fur blanket in a room made of ice. (Even though I am anti-fur) Also, I imagine this is what staying at Superman's fortress of solitude would be like.





Madonna Inn
San Luis Obispo, CA

I have wanted to stay here for years. I thought I was going to get my chance this summer but we have to stay in Hawaii for a month to attend two important weddings (poor us). So our plan to rent an RV and see this great country is postponed. I want to leave suffocating city life and find it's opposite. I want to see big sky and eat at the Cracker Barrel. And I desperately want to entrench myself in wacky roadside culture. This place isn't Wigwam Motel, but with features like rock showers and crazy fireplaces I think it counts. It's begging to be the setting of a David Lynch film. Makes me wish I was a photographer.








Wigwam Motel
San Bernardino, CA
(not the only Wigwam pictured) 

This is not the only Wigwam hotel in the states but it is the closet to wear I grew up. I hope to visit them all. It is a real slice of vintage Americana and I love that crap. I feel like Lolita probably made Humbert Humbert stop here on one of their cross country trips. It's the perfect 1964 honeymoon destination for a couple with no money and small dreams.




Mo Rooms
Chiang Mai, Thailand

We were in Thailand this last summer and we stumbled on this hotel when we were in Chiang Mai. We didn't get to stay here because we had already booked all our nights at the Vieng Mantra, which was really the most wonderful hotel I've ever stayed at, so no complaints. But Mo Rooms is a pretty hip little hotel. The twelve rooms range in size from "diminutive to colossal" and are different artist's interpretations of their Chinese zodiac sign.





I love New York. I love my life, but every year I get the travel itch for longer and longer. I want open roads. I want Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...