Thursday, January 6, 2011

∆DIY∆ Tin Foil Boxes

Things you need for this DIY:
*boxes
*tin foil
*glue
*a craft paint brush
*a palette knife, letter opener or popsicle stick
*a sharpie
*rubbing alcohol
*an X-acto knife or any other little knife

Total time:
approx. 1 hour per box

Total cost:
I already had everything I needed for this DIY but if you had to buy everything but the tin foil, glue, rubbing alcohol and knife, I assume the total cost would range from $10-20 depending on the boxes you buy. Mine were all cheap or free.

diy tin box
So I always buy boxes at craft stores and keep boxes little gifts come in and I never really do anything with them. I've painted a few with little success. I love the look of tin boxes so I decided to fake it.


My inspiration

 

I know I'm supposed to use Mod Podge or whatever. I know. I read the craft blogs too. But I'm not a got-it-all-together mom living in the suburban Midwest, I'm a flaky 20 something who lives in Brooklyn...so I used wood glue. I diluted it with a little water and it worked just fine.


I painted it on in sections then added pieces of the tin foil and flattened it down with my palette knife. I recommend keeping a wet towel around to wipe off excess glue although a little doesn't matter and will come off at the end.


Don't worry about making it too smooth, the ridges are what give it the antiqued look.


I used the X-acto knife to cut away any loose bits.


After I finished my box, I took out my sharpie and drew on all the ridges and wrinkles.


I let it dry, then I rubbed it off with some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Rubbing alcohol dissolves permanent ink so all that's left is the ink trapped in the ridges. The rubbing alcohol with also remove any little bits of glue.


Antique-y.


I did a few more. I foiled the square boxes in sections by cutting strips to size. The process got easier and faster with each box.



Voila!
I'm my opinion they still look too much like tin foil. Next time I will try some antiquing varnishes and see if I get a better result. Maybe some Mod Podge...who knows.


diy tin box
 Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. haha I always have modge podge on hand!
    love the sharpie/rubbing alcohol technique, did not know about that, very cool, xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice boxes! I saw a faux metal technique where you kinda crumple the foil first, then flatten it back out, leaving the foil with a very textured ridge-y look. You can then apply the antiquing. I've used this for some ornaments I made and they turned out pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, this is so awesome! I am so glad I popped by from craftgawker! I will definitely have to make some :) :) :)

    So cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...