Tuesday, February 8, 2011

∆DIY∆ Quick Textile Design

Things you need for this DIY:
*fabric
*masking tape
*an X-acto knife
*acrylic paint
*tape measure

Total time:
20 mins

Total cost:
nada!


So I've been making little draw string bags to package some of the things I sell. Even though I can't really afford to take the time to do it, I really like decorating the fabric myself. It's the special touches that make it worth someone's while to buy from a designer/artist/whatever instead of from Urban Outfitters. I thought I would share my process with you. I wanted to make some fabric that complimented this new key hook in my shop.

I took a roll of masking tape and made a mark at every inch. Then I did the same thing on the opposite side but half an inch off center. I used my X-acto knife to cut a zigzag connecting all the marks, making triangles.


I peeled them off the roll and stuck them on my fabric.


 Then I painted! If your fabric is thin make sure to have something underneath that you don't mind getting paint-y. Sorry for the quality of this photo...I was rushing.


I waited for the paint to dry and peeled off the tape.  I think this pattern would look great on a t shirt.


Here's a picture I took with Hipstamatic on my iPhone...makes everything look so good...


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...