Thursday, July 14, 2011

∆DIY∆ Ball Jar Light Fixture

Things you need for this DIY:

*an light fixture with an ugly out-of-style glass covering held on by little screws
*a pretty jar that fits in the fixture
*glass etching cream
*a craft brush
*a bottle cleaner (or if you are ghetto like me, a face towel wrapped around the handle of a long paint brush)
*a hammer (potentially)

Total time:
20 mins

Total cost:
You can get etching cream from $5-10 at most craft stores

ball jar diy

There are so many things we want to do to our bathroom but we won't be able to do most of them until fall. I really wanted to spruce it up a little though so I decided to revamp the lighting. I searched amongst my many glass items to find something I could replace the old light fixture with and found this Ball jar. The little ledge running around the top worked to give the screws something to hold onto.


This is what we had originally...sooo ug.


I wanted to diffuse the light and hide our swirly energy-saver lightbulb so I frosted the inside of the jar with etching cream. Make sure to apply it thickly. I used half the container. Don't get it on your skin or in your eyes. Don't eat it!!


Be careful. Try not to cut your knuckle on the inside of the jar like I did...barely.


Clean the jar by sloshing some water around in it and using a bottle cleaner (or a towel wrapped around a stick)


When I tried to attach the jar I found that the screws angled in too much to fit the jar. So I hit them with a hammer until they angled out, like so. It's a good lesson; sometimes if something doesn't fit you should just hit it with a hammer over and over until it does. Or maybe that's a TERRIBLE lesson.


Then I screwed them in to secure the jar.

ball jar diy

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. ooooh i like this idea its perfect
    trianglle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...